Mold Testing and Inspections San Diego
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter YouTube Google Plus Home


Posted on: November 21st, 2014 by Peter Sierck No Comments


The term “mycotoxin” refers to the toxic metabolites that are produced by different types of molds and even some bacteria. These aerobic organisms are ubiquitous in nature and thrive off organic matter whenever favorable temperatures and moisture conditions are present. Commonly, elevated levels of humidity are enough to sustain the growth of fungal colonies. Routes of exposure include direct consumption, breathing in “moldy air” in damp indoor areas, and even absorption through the skin. It wasn’t until recently that people considered mold something other than a nuisance, but over the past decade new scientific research discovered that mold inside water-damaged homes may be linked to health problems. Due to the fact that many mycotoxins target rapidly growing cells, children, adolescents and immuno-compromised are among the most vulnerable. As climate change increases, so do the complexity of mycotoxin exposure; more rainfall, storms and floods create moist conditions which sustain fungal growth, warmer temperatures are more favorable, and even droughts weaken the seeds of plants which allow for greater fungal contamination.

Molds require three environmental factors in order to survive: oxygen, food and water. Since we cannot limit the presence of oxygen nor organic matter (i.e. cellulose based building materials), moisture becomes the target in which we can control. Keeping your indoor environment dry is crucial to prevent mold from growing; water problems such as roof and plumbing leaks, floods, and irrigation overspray need to be fixed within 24-48 hours. Signs of water-damage, water-stains and musty odors indicate that a fungal colony may have already started to grow and will need to be properly addressed by a professional. Even if the water source has been identified and repaired, existing colonies will remain dormant and still retain their ability to produce mycotoxins. Whether you think or know of a potential mold problem inside of your indoor environment, it is important to have the issue resolved as soon as possible.



Leave a Reply

Find us on Google+

Questions? We're here to consult with you!
Please call us at 760-804-9400 or click here for a free consultation.